Named for Patrick F. Dealy, S.J., president of Fordham University from 1882-1885, Dealy Hall is located on the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx, adjacent to the New York Botanical Garden. The original five-story building was built in 1867 and is comprised of stone blocks laid in an ashlar pattern. During the 1950s and 1960s, an additional two limestone-clad stories were built atop the original structure. After the severe winter of 2013, the university retained Hoffmann Architects to investigate facade conditions and provide recommendations for repairs.
Our design professionals conducted close-up evaluation of the facades and developed a prioritized scope of repairs. Based on these recommendations, the university retained Hoffmann Architects to develop contract documents and provide bidding assistance and construction administration services for the two-phase project.
The first phase of the project included repair of cracked and spalled stone, face-pinning and re-setting of limestone panels, and limestone panel replacement, where necessary. The second phase will include mortar joint repointing, sealant joint replacement, cement plaster stucco repair, and additional limestone rehabilitation. Both phases are timed to coincide with academic recesses, so as to minimize disruption. In addition, most of the inspections were performed during nighttime hours to further limit interference with campus operations. Dealy Hall houses the offices of multiple liberal arts departments, along with those of the information technology department and the Writing Center.
Throughout the project, Hoffmann Architects’ design professionals conducted site visits and provided field observation reports to document the progress and quality of the work, and to see that construction proceeded as designed. The rehabilitation not only resolves weather-related damage; it also improves the durability and integrity of the historic building.